Learning at my own pace

I was thinking about self-regulated learning, and it made me think about my sons.  I enrolled both of my boys (ages 10 & 12) in courses through Florida Virtual School for the summer.  I did for two reasons.  First, I want to keep their minds sharp during the summer months.  Second, they are trying to get high school and middle school credits done so they can participate in dual enrollment during high school.  I gave them a game plan that if they submitted 2 - 3 assignments each day (Monday - Thursday) they would complete the entire course in June.  

Needless to say, we are in July and neither has completed the first semester in their course.  Each day I text them their assignments.  They have NO motivation, outside of me being on them to get the work done.  Although the course are designed to be completed over 32-36 wks, students can move has fast as they want.  However, my boys have zero ability to "self-regulate".

Not sure I will do this next summer.

Hindsight is 20/20...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Late Than Never

Week 3 - Reflection

I need a life preserver...